Touch Typing Lesson 30: _ & ^ Keys
This typing lesson will teach you how to touch type with the _ [underscore] and ^ [caret/circumflex] keys. In mathematics, the caret represents an exponent, square, cube, or other power. If you already know the keyboard, try our our technical jargon drills or symbol drills for more relevant practice exercises.
- Begin with your fingers on the home row.
- The '_' key is two rows above the 'P' key (use your right pinky finger), stretch up while holding the shift key down to hit it.
- The '^' key is two rows above the 'J' key (use your right index finger), stretch up and over while holding the shift key down to hit it.
- Once you learn where these keys are, try to type them without looking at your fingers. Scroll down if needed to type the following:
- When you feel confident you can type these keys without looking, go on to the next lesson.